Saturday, February 22, 2014

Artist are different...yes,,they are...

I began to seek my artistic abilities while living in England. Years had passed since I had "pen in hand" , so to speak, and besides I was bored out of my mind.  I had left two businesses and needed a challenge. I decided to stretch myself and talents and try to hone a talent I had long admired. What better place to pursue a "certificate" in watercolor, but England...the birthplace of some of the greatest watercolor artist.

My first instructor was a beautiful and talented lady that went from instructor to friend.....she was amazing and I loved her. I left shortly after I finished the program , but she was instrumental in making sure that all my work was presented to the board and that I received my certificate. Her style was flowing and soft, but she gathered punch by accentuating with dark.  We work set on wet and I will always remember her saying....."I feel a need for more water".  I carry with me many of her words and style in my work.

Today I took a class here in Mazatlan from an entirely different style of artist. Her technique is more dry and had to work hard not to spread my color with just a touch more water.

Many teachers have come my way and I know that I have forgotten much of what they have shared, but I always walk away with a new bit of knowledge and a new technique to reach the end product....a piece of work that is my own.

I thank them all for sharing their knowledge, their work, their talent and mostly their time.

Today's work is another Mazatlan scene...the Pacifico building.

No comments:

Post a Comment