Saturday, November 2, 2019

On the road again.

The trip from Washington to Calufornia in the fall is food for the pallet of an artist. . It doesn't matter how often I make the trip, I never get bored, even in the " boring parts,", as my friends love to say, for each time I see new shapes, colors and textures.  My traveling companion chuckles as the adrenaline rush of a new shape, or cloud formation, or color, makes me squeal like a little kid. If you keep your eyes open, and survey your surroundings, you will see all manner of new things. Even if you hate road trips, you can make this an adventure, instead of boring hours cooped up in a car. Some of you will roll your eyes at this statement, but I believe it to be true, like I believe there is art in all of us. 

Rocks can sprout out of hills that had been invisible before the sun moved just a fraction of an inch in the sky.  . Suddenly they shine with light and create landscapes that seem unworldly.  Shadows on hills move the eye over depths of color in purples and blues and suddenly fade into a black crater of mystery. As an artist you can only hope to replicate these colors in the studio and capture the emotion, but, alas, it is not always easy.


I find travel to be one of our greatest gifts.  I just read an article that said that the milliniums really don't care much about gathering stuff, but more about gathering experiences.  I am lucky to have a partner that feels the same.  He would much rather take a trip, eat a fabulous meal, or maybe acquire a beautiful piece of art, then have a home flooded with "things".  There is much wisdom in that philosophy.  I don't care if I'm on a boat,plane,train or car, I am always fascinated by the shadows,colors, textures, sounds, smells, taste that surround me.  I fall deep into an abyss of wonder. and loose myself in the culture and drama that surrounds me. Perhaps I am influenced by the fact that I gave up art and travel for years, and my heart and mind are trying to make up for all that lost time.

This trip the sun shone so brightly on the snow peaked mountains that they glistened and felt within reach. As the wheels roll down the highway, my mind explodes with possibilities.  I see myself in the studio creating the scenes that have floated past me; color, texture, shadow and light work together in perfect harmony to create a kaleidoscope of design possibilities.

Small town's, sometimes with only three buildings creep up on you unexpectedly and provide the perfect little church sitting in a field, or a barn that looks like the whisper of a breeze could knock it down. .  I have so many shots of silos, animals,old gas stations and people,(usually kids) and building after building after building.  What are the stories?

Next I will share some of my trip from Singapore to Dubai.  Speaking of smells, taste, textures, color and people, oh my the people....

No comments:

Post a Comment